Hartford HealthCare Contact Information
Hartford HealthCare welcomes inquiries from media outlets. Someone is always available to take your calls. We ask that all journalists call us before contacting a physician, an employee, a patient or volunteer at any Hartford HealthCare facility.
Need An Expert?
Our News Service, an Emmy-winning newsgathering team with more than two decades of experience, can connect you with nationally renowned experts.
We are also an active health newsroom that produces high-quality health news content available for distribution on several platforms: online, in print, radio or broadcast.
Director, News Service
Manager, News Service
Senior Health Services:
Release of Patient Information
Privacy regulations issued by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) strictly govern the use and release of a patient's personal health information. As a member of the media, here is what you need to know if you want information about a Hospital HealthCare patient:
- Media Relations must first check to see that the patient has not secured his/her privacy, in which case we would be unable to release any information. Patients have the right to deny the release of information about their condition. For a minor, the parent or guardian has the authority to make that decision.
- You must have the patient's first and last name before we can release a condition. Without a name, condition reports can't be released.
- If you have the patient's first and last name, the only information that may be released to the media is a one-word condition report.
- Patients have the right to deny the release of any information about their condition - even that one-word condition report. For a minor, the parent or guardian has the authority to make that decision.
- To protect patient confidentiality, patients must sign a release form before reporters can interview them or their doctors about issues specific to their care.
- To protect the privacy of all other patients and families, a member of our media relations team must accompany all reporters and photographers at any Hartford HealthCare facility.
Here are the one-word patient conditions we can release:
Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable; indicators are excellent.
Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable; indicators are favorable.
Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill; indicators are questionable.
Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may not be conscious; indicators are unfavorable.