Having a baby can be one of life's most joyous and profound events. You can be sure that the nurses and medical staff at MidState's Family Birthing Center will take pride in providing the very best care for you, your family, and your new baby.
Our distinctive features include:
- Experienced, compassionate physicians, nurses and other professionals
- Beautifully decorated, state-of-the-art rooms specially designed to accommodate every stage of the childbirth experience, from labor and delivery to recovery and postpartum.
- Personalized support, from early labor through breastfeeding advice and guidance for home care.
- Neonatal nurse practitioners who, in consultation with our Chief of Pediatrics, are available to assist every newborn, 24 hours a day.
- A nursery equipped to care for newborns with special needs.
- Collaboration with Connecticut's intensive care nurseries and transport team.
- NEW: Partnership with the March of Dimes Healthy Babies are Worth the Wait® to ensure inductions and C-sections are done at the right time and for the right reasons.
MidState is proud to be recognized as a Baby Friendly® hospital, supporting mother-baby bonding through breastfeeding and a variety of other factors.
For expectant mothers at high-risk for complications, MidState also offers additional services and support through its Maternal Fetal Medicine Program.
The Newborn Channel
Login to the Newborn Channel from the comfort of your home! It's easy to watch on the web. View educational videos prior to your admission and again when you return home on topics including infant care, new mom care, breastfeeding, car seat safety, development, family life and immunizations.
Use password 02886 when visiting
View Newborn Channel Now
While you're with us
We think that new mothers and their babies are very special people. That's why we do everything we can to make you as comfortable as possible while you're with us. It's also why we try to provide you with all the important information you'll need to get started on the right foot with your new baby.
Services and Information
Having a baby is an exciting time in a woman's life. MidState offers programs and support groups to help families adjust to caring for a new baby while making the most of this life-changing experience. Take a look at our Family Birthing brochure for more details.
Click on the following list of MidState's special amenities that give new mothers the attention and tender care that they deserve:
- Your Special Dinner
To help you celebrate the birth of your baby, you are invited to choose from our special selection dinner menu. The menu includes a variety of gourmet entrees available only to our guests in the Family Birthing Center. You and your spouse/birthing partner may select from this menu once during your stay. Bon appetit!
Many families want to capture their precious little one's early moments in a professional quality photograph. We can arrange to have your baby's picture taken on the day before you go home. Please make sure you have an outfit ready for the afternoon before you're discharged. Complete details about our Photographic Services can be found in your information packet.
- Soft Touch Hand Rubs for Moms
What is Soft Touch?
Soft Touch a free service provided by MidState to help you relax while you're in the hospital. Our trained volunteers will provide relaxation rubs to your hands, feet and face. Most patients find that Soft Touch is very effective in helping them relax. It's part of our philosophy of integrating the mind, body, psyche and spirit in caring for you.
Soft Touch service is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 6 to 8 p.m. Just ask your nurse for additional details.
- What to Pack During Your Stay
- Nightgown or shirt to wear during labor (if you don't feel comfortable in a hospital gown). Your clothing should be loose fitting, or designed to be completely opened in the front.
- Robe or bed jacket
- Nightgown and/or pajamas (if you plan to breastfeed, bring ones made for nursing)
- 2 - 4 bras (nursing bras if you plan to breastfeed)
- 3 - 6 pairs of underpants
- Toiletries: toothbrush and toothpaste; soap; shampoo and conditioner; deodorant; skin lotion; comb or brush; lip balm or ChapStick® rubber band, "scrunchie" or hair clip to pull hair back during labor
- A photo or object you can use as a focal point during labor
- Going-home outfit (comfortable and loose-fitting)
ChapStick® is a registered trademark of Wyeth Consumer Healthcare.
- Lollipops or hard candy to keep your mouth moist during labor
- An activity (such as pre-addressing birth announcements or crossword puzzles) or a book to keep busy during early labor
- Makeup, lipstick, scented shower gel or body powder to make you feel better after labor
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses (keep in mind that you can wear your eyeglasses during labor, but not contacts)
- Address book
- A small gift for the other children at home from the baby
For Your Partner
- Insurance information
- Hospital pre-registration information
- Change of clothes and toiletries
- Things to be used during labor: soothing music, something to be used as a focal point, tennis ball, rolling pin or lotion for massage, watch, paper/pen, snacks
- Book or magazine for reading
- List of people and phone numbers to call
- Camera (don't forget the film or charger)
- Camcorder and/or cassette recorder with tapes
For Your Baby
- T-shirt, socks, hat
- Going home outfit
- Bunting/jacket (depending on season)
- Receiving blanket (and a heavier blanket if it's cold)
- Car seat (you can't leave the hospital without it)
Buy a Brick for the Next Generation
Buying a brick is an opportunity to turn your gift into a tangible reminder of your commitment to your community hospital. It's also a great way for local businesses to recognize their entire company, or a deserving employee, for a job well done. View our brochure for more information.
For the general public (over age 10) and the patient's children:
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Quiet time for the patient and her significant other only:
At MidState's Family Birthing Center, we will do everything we can to make the birth of your new child a comfortable and joyous event for everyone. If you have questions, or would like more information, call us at 203.694.8341.